Can I Sell Wine in Ontario?

I am not a lawyer, but I can provide some general information. If you want to sell wine in Ontario, Canada, there are specific regulations and requirements you must adhere to. It’s always essential to verify with up-to-date sources and consult with legal experts for the most current and accurate information.

  1. Alcohol License: To sell wine in Ontario, you typically need to obtain the appropriate alcohol license. The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) is the regulatory body responsible for issuing alcohol licenses in the province.
  2. Selling Privately-Owned Wine: If you are a private individual, you might be able to sell homemade wine under certain conditions, such as at farmers’ markets or through a homemade wine competition. However, there may be quantity limitations, and you’ll need to comply with specific rules.
  3. Selling Commercially: If you plan to sell wine on a commercial scale, you’ll likely need a different type of license, such as a manufacturer’s license, a winery retail store authorization, or a retail store authorization. These licenses have different requirements and limitations, so it’s essential to determine which one suits your business model.
  4. Legal Drinking Age: Ensure you comply with the legal drinking age in Ontario, which is 19 years old. You cannot sell alcohol to anyone under this age.
  5. Labeling and Packaging: Wine bottles sold in Ontario must meet specific labeling and packaging requirements set by the AGCO. These regulations are meant to ensure that consumers receive accurate information about the product they are purchasing.
  6. Local Regulations: Besides provincial regulations, you may need to consider municipal bylaws and zoning restrictions that could impact where and how you sell wine.

It’s crucial to familiarize yourself with all the legal and regulatory requirements, as non-compliance can result in significant fines or other penalties. I strongly advise you to reach out to the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) or consult with legal professionals who specialize in alcohol-related matters to ensure that you are in full compliance with the law.

If you liked this post, share it!

Leave a Comment